Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"Where's the map??" "I think I ate it!"

Guess what?

It's official! I'm all trained and signed off to work Captain EO and the Astro Orbitors by myself! My final day of OJT was on Sunday, but first let me talk about training on Saturday.

I didn't start until 4pm that day, which means I got to sleep in. So lovely. We spent the day practicing what we had done before and learning the theatre. I felt great about spieling - the first time was a little rocky, but once I got that initial one over with I was practically a pro! Theatre is really simple - you introduce the show, and then sit and watch the movie while making sure everything is working right and everyone is behaving themselves. The only thing that was kind of lame about that day of training was that it went until 12:30am...and I am so not good late at night. Give me the mornings any day of the week!

Then came Sunday - the day of our performance assessment. I wasn't nervous at all. Scratch that - I was stoked! I knew that I had everything down perfectly, so I was excited to show off what an amazing cast member I am bound to be :)

That morning I saw Francesca and her Italian family outside the ride, and even tried to speak a little Italian to them! Then I saw Austin scurry past to get fastpasses for his grandma's 86th birthday. I had been wondering when I would run into someone I know while on the job and POW, first week I see 2!! It was a little awkward...like seeing a teacher at the mall or something. But it was fun and I felt proud to be representing the Walt Disney Company. I also had my first experience of someone calling me by my name and wondering if I knew them for a split second, then realizing that I was wearing a nametag. I was really excited for that to happen and it was just as fun as I thought it would be. :)

The PA went absolutely smashingly. We got a little overwhelmed at greeter but handled it very professionally. It was like we'd been doing it for years. Or at least months. Then I was able to do the welcome spiel which I totally ate up and milked for all it's worth. Give me a microphone and an audience and good luck getting me to shut up!

The PA only lasted like 30 minutes because we were so awesome, so then we got signed off, clocked out, and were ready to go! That afternoon I met up with Noelle, David, Missy, Samantha, Tyler, and their friend Ashley in the park after they finished their scavenger hunt. It was lovely seeing them and feeding off of their excitement! Then I went to Rock Harbor with Jason that evening for church. I loved it! The energy was intoxicating and the music was fantastic and the talk was very thought provoking. Plus I made a new friend which I'm always a fan of. Depending on my hours this Sunday, I'll definitely be going back.

Yesterday and today were my days off and they have been awesome. Yesterday I rode my bike over to the park to figure out timing and the best route. It only took about 20 minutes and the entire thing is pretty flat, so I'm feeling good about that for sure. Later that day Skyler came out to hang with me and my friends. We went to the beach then played cards and talked in my apartment. It was so much fun - I think my photobooth photos are proof of that.

Today has been spent chilling and cleaning and making sure I have everything together for this coming week. I'm going to be working 6 days in a row, but I have absolutely no clue what my hours will be. Since I wasn't signed off when they made the schedule, they couldn't give me specific shifts. Now I have to call in every day to see what shift they have available for me the next day. The positive thing is that I will definitely get some hours - I just have no idea how many or when they'll be.

So that's my life! I love it. I'm obsessed with my job and my roommates and my new friends...I couldn't be happier. Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment