Thursday, August 19, 2010

Move in and Orientation!

Greetings loved ones! (Let's take a journey?)

So I am officially checked in and a member of the Disney College Program. Check in day went a little something like this:

Arrival - 7:30 am. The line is already huuuuuuuuge. I stood around for a while and talked to Kallie who was near me, and Natalie when she showed up. When I checked in they gave me some instructions and sent me upstairs (sans the parents) to take care of getting my room key, parking pass, i-9 paperwork, and commuter assistance. Based on a glance at my paperwork, it looks like I'm going to be placed in Tomorrowland, but I'll find out for sure tomorrow at the end of Traditions. Once I filled out all my paperwork (and moved my car) I climbed up 5 flights of stairs to my lovely top floor, corner room. It's a pretty big place (I'll post pictures soon) and I think we've made it pretty homey despite the fact that it's pretty much the farthest apartment from anywhere.

Moving in was....intense. Awful. Exhausting. And yet exciting at the same time. I brought waaaaaaaay too much stuff. I even consolidated and decided not to bring a lot, and it still took about 15 trips (me, mom AND dad) up either 5 flights of stairs or the crowded, hot, slow freight elevator. Not exactly my idea of fun. But I was able to get everything moved in and put away and even did some decorating - now I feel right at home. The only thing I'm NOT excited about is when I have to move out in 4 months. :-/

After all the packing (and a 1 hour housing orientation meeting) the parents and I ran to target for some errands, ate chinese food, set up the electronics in the apartment, and chatted with Lauren (roommate) and her dad. Once all the parents were gone, some of the girls and I went to get fro yo. There's one literally 2 minutes away...it's gonna be dangerous.

On our way back we noticed some boys playing cards in the window. Because everyone at Disney is friendly, we knocked on their door and invited ourselves in! Now we've got 2 great friends (Pat and Kirby!) and an unhealthy desire to play cards whenever possible.


Ok. Day 2. This day is a small orientation. You show up, get your ID picture taken, hear about class options and scheduling, CHOOSE your class and schedule (I'm doing Blended Learning Series and put full availability) and then get SNACK TIME. I feel like I'm in elementary school again, but I do love me some snack time. We then heard a bit about all the college program staff, played a getting to know you game, and did Disney trivia. I won a deck of cards (ironic?) by answering: "Who are the fab 5?" Do you know?

After orientation I joined the parents in the park for a bit, but then returned to Team Disney for the resource fair. This was basically an opportunity to get some free snacks and random stuff that no one needs. The evening consisted of dinner with our new friends, and inviting everyone we saw to our apartment to play cards. Despite being in the corner, we know how to throw a shindig :)

So that's the general info for days 1 and 2. Tomorrow is Traditions and I'm sure I'll have a lot to say about that. But the moral of the story here is that there's TONS of information SHOVED at you, and lovely people to experience it all with. Seriously, I'm living the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment