Monday, January 10, 2011

You're a Wizard, Harry

What a fantastically wonderful and magical day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

But it didn't necessarily start out that way.

Lauren and I woke up much too early so that we could get to the park before opening and I could buy my annual pass. We tried to deal with ticketing issues at the hotel, but they were not much help, and by the time we finished with them the shuttle had already left for the park. We then had to wait 35 minutes for the next shuttle. Bummer.

Once we got to the park we went straight to guest services and I pleaded with the nice cast member to let me have the Florida resident price. Unfortunately as an intern, I don't qualify. So I caved and bought the more expensive one. Bonus? Free parking. Which means I am DEFINITELY going to be at that park as often as humanly possible.

Once inside the park we went straight to Harry Potter. Lauren was so excited to see Hogwarts for the first time and I was just as thrilled for her. We went straight up to the express line, I name dropped, and we got right on the ride. We then went straight back and took more time going through the castle as we went through the line. When we got off for the 2nd time, Stephen was there with a handful of express passes. Seriously...I don't know what universal would be like without him! After Forbidden Journey we went on Dragon Challenge and then got lunch at the Three Broomsticks. I had a turkey leg which was AMAZING but so filling. I wasn't hungry again until about 6pm...and we ate lunch at 11. We then did some souvenir shopping - Lauren bought a wand and candy for her family, and I bought a new lanyard for my keys. My old Pepperdine one from freshman year has reached the end of its days I think.

We then decided to get a drink from the hogs head. I had my own concoction of the Hog's Head brew (a sort of amber ale) mixed with Strongbow. It was delicious. Plus, now I know Universal has strongbow on tap. Dangerous. As we were drinking we experienced a famous Florida thunderstorm. We got the whole shebang. Thunder, lightning, and absolutely pouring rain that didn't seem to want to stop. I was happy I had brought my poncho for sure. We ran through the rain and went on Poseidon, Cat in the Hat, and Spiderman before it finally stopped raining. At that point we decided to head over to the other park.

We had great fortune when we got to Universal Studios because the Rip Rockit Roller Coaster (one of the only rides our express passes didn't work for, and usually has a very long line) had just re-opened after the storm. We only had to wait about 10 minutes and then I rocked out to "U Can't Touch This" as we zoomed around the park. Next came the Mummy Ride which I absolutely love out here - it's soooooooo much better than the neon cardboard cut outs in Hollywood. Plus - FIRE CEILING. After the ride I did my standard practice of befriending anyone and everyone (this would be friend #2 for the day) and we chatted with the guy working the bracelet stand in the store. We then moved onto The Jaws ride, Men In Black, ET, the Mummy again, and finally we were done with Universal for the day.

We sluggishly made out way back to Islands of Adventure so Lauren could take some more pictures and we could ride Forbidden Journey one last time. I so prefer Hogsmeade at night...it's much more realistic. Dinner was at Margaritaville in CityWalk where Jillian made friend #3 with the bartender (who also bartends at Disneyworld!) and we scarfed down our food out of hunger.

And thus ended another long, but fulfilling day. Check in is bright and early tomorrow morning - can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment