Monday, July 30, 2012

Suffering


Whenever I'm in times of struggle or what seems to be a period of darkness I turn to the book of James. Even the first chapter is enough to wake me up and remind me where my hope lies. 

It's easy to feel like God has abandoned us. Things in our life take a turn for the unexpected or difficult. We feel isolated and alone. I start having those little negative thoughts. You know which ones I'm talking about.  The thoughts where we question God's sovereignty or purpose for our lives. If He were REALLY in control, we wouldn't face turmoil like this. If God REALLY loved us He'd make sure we were happy and fulfilled all the time.

What a selfish view of God I have. 

How dare I assume that I know better than the creator of the universe. How do I have the tenacity to question the path He has set out for me.  James may not be an easy book to read, but it is certainly a humbling one. 

"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him." 

We made the decision to have a difficult life. We chose sin. And then we blame God when the consequences of our sin come knocking. But we must remember that we don't have to suffer in silence. As lonely as we may feel, if we trust God and the salvation He provides we WILL receive the crown of life.

So rejoice in your struggle my friends, because through it we draw closer to our ultimate bliss. For "every good and perfect gift comes from above".

No comments:

Post a Comment