Friday, June 24, 2011

Life on the Reserve

I have now completed 2 days of training at Kilimanjaro Safaris, and I must say, I'm obsessed.

Day 1 was pretty much an overview of the attraction. We explored Africa, took a ride, reviewed animals, did some e-learning, and even drove the truck around the vehicle maintenance lot. No, I didn't make it onto the ride path that day, but driving that beast around the parking lot was more than enough for day 1 thank you!

Day 2 started out with learning the spiel. After around 2 hours of studying, I knocked everyone's socks off with my memorizing skills. So thanks mom and dad, that theatre training keeps managing to come in handy. :) We then took some time to learn a few of the land positions. It was fun to get back into a greeter role, and I feel right back into my old habits of encouraging people to "fill in allllllll the available space". I had actually missed it. I then learned the wonders of fastpass and how to deal with the crazy mishaps of some of the oldest fastpass machines known to man. I also got some practices subduing the masses while they wait for their fastpass time to start and laying down the law when it comes to one party at a time!

After lunch we took a truck out to the ride path. That's right, I drove a 36 passenger truck past lions, elephants, rhinos and crocodiles to name a few, in the rain, and over a tilting bridge. I'm slowly learning the art of the overwhelmingly wide turns and how to approach the dock at the exact right angle so you don't pop up on the curb. It's going to take quite a bit of practice, but even after my few hours driving around today I'm already feeling more comfortable. Driving my little honda civic at the end of the day was a bit of a jolt though. I have a feeling my driving is going to be a lot rougher once I start driving the safari all day!

My greatest accomplishment for the day was that I was able to spiel for an entire trip without any major mishaps. I know I still have a lot to work on, (and luckily 4 more days to practice!) but I have a really good feeling about my future on the Harambe Wildlife Reserve. These past 2 days have flown by. I love the work, I love the people, and I loooooove the animals. Today I saw elephants playing in the water, a baby mandrill in a tree, a newly hatched flamingo, and some of the rarest animals that exist in Africa today.

My only wish is that I could take pictures while I drive!

I'm sure I'll have plenty of wonderful stories to tell in the next few months. I'm really liking this new chapter of my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment