Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 1

Another Ash Wednesday has come and gone. It feels like just yesterday that I was vowing to stay off Facebook for the next 40 days. But here we are, a year later and a new Lenten season has begun.

This year I will not be Facebook free (considering it's one of the main ways I pick up shifts, it would be fiscally irresponsible to abandon it). I could tell you about what I'm giving up this year- but instead I want to discuss the true purpose of Lent. It is not, in fact, a great excuse for a diet. It is a chance for us to acknowledge our sins and struggles, and seek repentance in preparation for Jesus' ultimate sacrifice. It's a time to refocus our priorities and get them centered on Christ. Whenever we have a desire to partake in our chosen sacrifice, instead we turn to God. We pray, or journal. Perhaps we do a devotional and use our learning to continue our quest to holiness. Hopefully after 40 days we have dropped our dirty habit or distraction, and made time with God and reliance on His sovereignty a daily activity.

So yes, my sacrifice is unimportant. It's between me and my Lord. It will certainly require a lot of help, and I expect I will be faced with many temptations along the way. But I am thrilled to take the time to develop a deeper and stronger relationship with my best friend and savior.

I hope that if you have chosen to partake in Lent, that you have an enlightening and inspirational 40 days. And if you are not joining us, please, give us your support! We all will need it.

Good bless- only 40 days (plus Sundays) until we celebrate our God's undying love for us. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment